Sunday, August 25, 2013

"I’ve found a career and a calling where I’ll never reach mastery. I’ll never exhaust the possibilities for improvement."

Dear Jessica,

Your article hammered home with eyes wide open clarity my precise sentiments on bettering my craft as a teacher, learning as much as humanly possible about my profession, and retaining my particular talents where I passionately feel they are most beneficial - in the classroom.  Unlike you, I selected my graduate studies avenue prior to entering education and completed those studies at the onset of my teaching career, so I'm not pursuing an administrator's credentials, and may elect never to do so.  Like you, though, I am a sponge for information on why policy decisions are made, what drives district directives, and, as you stated, "I want to empathize with my school leader."  I'd much rather pursue the why/when/what-ifs, than sit back and negatively harp on decisions made above my pay-grade. ***  I'm geeked up with each new professional article or book that crosses my path, or classroom opportunity for ME to learn.  I want to participate in the process that directly affects my role, and my students, but I don't want to leave behind the motivation that drives me each day to BRING IT for the reasons that waltz past me each period of the day, five days per week, the reasons we're all here:  the kids.

Thank you for your insight.  You nailed it, for me (and many others, I'm betting)!

Article - Confessions of a Soul-Searching Teacher: Why I'm Pursuing a Principal License (I'll Probably Never Use)


***I have no idea why my line spacing took a wonky dive right around this point.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Heather!
    I loved your expansion on some of the ideas in the post and am so happy it resonated with you :). I left you a comment on my blog as well but do hope you'll consider joining the Collaboratory at www.teachingquality.org, where solutions-oriented teacher leaders connect, ready and mobilize around issues of practice, policy and all things education-related! :) "See" you in cyberspace soon? :)
    - Jessica Cuthbertson, @JJCuthy

    ReplyDelete