Saturday, December 8, 2012

Crayons On The Ground

That phrase reminds me of the "pants on the ground" diddy that ear wormed its way into our pop culture mental library a few years back.  "Crayons on the ground" has significant meaning to me ever since I dumped a Costco sized container of Crayola crayons into each classroom group station's supply basket.  If you know my tendency at work to keep a near-negative balance showing in my email inbox, as much desk surface space visible as possible in my planning area, and stay in strict accordance with the fire marshal's code of less than a particular percentage of flammable substance on the classroom walls, then you know just how absolutely bonkers this pushes me.  It's a short trip for me, but still.  But it's not merely crayons on the ground.  It's snapped, peeled, shredded, pelted, catapulted, and bombed crayons on the ground.  My classroom floor resembles a Rainbow Bright murder scene by the conclusion of each school day.

You may be thinking, "Wow, doesn't she have better classroom management than that?"  Oh, no.  Please don't fool yourselves.  Crayon Chaos ensues in the microsecond that I turn to speak with a student on the opposite side of the room, when I stop to collect a love letter (I use the phrase 'love' lightly in middle school romance), or when I, um, well, you know....TEACH.  I reached my wits end, after multiple warnings---including letting the 'crazy lady' come out, much to the enjoyment of my students---but not yet zeroing down the culprits to less than about a dozen potential suspects, when one of the sweetest female students in my charge approached me for help with a concept - totally ignorant of the fact that she had a shard of Raw Sienna stuck in her gorgeous hair.  That's it.  The Crayon War must arrive at a cease fire before someone loses an eye, kids.

Insert the magic of www.remind101.com.  Teachers, if you're not already using this delicious tool, you are missing out.  It's become an integral part of my daily routine.  Take a gander at the website if you're unfamiliar with the free and 100% private reminder program that has made my work life infinitely simpler in some ways.  Back to the Raw Sienna incident, I sent a Remind 101 notice that same day, prompting students to study for an upcoming quiz, and included in the note:  "Dear Crayon Quarterbacks, I know* who you are and I will contact your parents if it continues."  Voila!  Poof.  Eureka.  Success.  All is right with the world again.  There are no longer crayons on the ground.

*I didn't.

In high school essay news, one of my colleagues reported to me, in case any of us were unaware - sit down for this teachers, it could be the shock of your careers thus far - that she was edified by the below sentence included in an assignment that a student submitted:

"It is a little white lie when students say, 'I have it done but my USB is at home.  I can bring it tomorrow.'"

Lastly, in commerce news, one of my dear friends who works for JC Penney shared with me a discount opportunity that you may wish to take advantage of this weekend.  In her words, "share with all your friends to convince them that JCP is cool and awesome now."  The link to the Friends and Family coupon is below, but let me know if it does not generate for you and I'll happily send you the email from my friend.  I do also have to mention, based on what I've seen my friends purchase recently from their varied department store sections, JCP is cool and awesome now, and the prices are even Heather-friendly.

http://f.jcpenneyem.com/i/34/626255242/JCP_FriendsandFamily_Coupon.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment